Open to new ideas. Since 1365. As a research university with high international visibility and a wide range of degree programmes, the University of Vienna is committed to basic research open to application and research-led teaching, as well as to career development of young researchers and to the dialogue with economy and society. That way, the University of Vienna contributes to the education of future generations and to the society’s ability to innovate. The appointment of particularly qualified researchers to university professors is an important strategy of the University of Vienna. Become part of this vibrant and future-oriented organisation.
At the University of Vienna the position of a
Jurisprudence and ethics in Islam
(full time, limited to a period of four years, to fill as soon as possible, organisationally assigned to the Faculty of Philological and Cultural Studies and as well to the Faculty of Law) is to be filled.
The University of Vienna is currently establishing a Bachelor programme in Islamic theology, to the ends of theological research and education and for the scientific formation of clerical young academics of Islamic Religious Societies. This Bachelor programme shall be embedded in the academic spirit of the University of Vienna and its disciplines. The successful candidate is expected to help with and to contribute the perspective of Islamic theology into establishing and running this Bachelor programme.
Successful candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Doctoral degree/PhD and post-doctoral experience at a university or other research Institution
- Habilitation (venia docendi) in a subject field relevant to this position or an internationally accepted equivalent qualification is desirable
- Outstanding achievements in research, in particular on fundamental ethical and legal questions of Islam in European context, excellent publication record, international Reputation
- Experience in designing, procuring and managing large research projects, as well as the willingness and ability to lead research Groups
- Enthusiasm for excellent teaching, teaching experience at universities as well as the ability and willingness to teach students in all phases of their studies (bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral level), to supervise academic theses and to promoting young academic colleagues
Unless the successful candidate is fluent in German, the University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to be fluent in English and to acquire, within two years, proficiency in German sufficient for teaching in bachelor’s programmes and for participation in university committees. In addition, the University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to be prepared to take over responsibility on the organisational level of the Faculty and the University, if necessary.
- a negotiable salary (classification according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement for University Staff., allocation to job group A1; section 99 (1) of the Universities Act 2002); the salary will be individually negotiated under consideration of the previous career development and the current income Situation
- in addition to the statutory social insurance, the University of Vienna offers a pension fund to its employees
- a dynamic research location with well-established research funding provisions
- attractive working conditions in a city with a high quality of life
- comprehensive advice and support in relation to finding an accommodation
- a wide range of support services offered by central service institutions
The University of Vienna pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/en). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
- Application letter, including a brief description of:
· current research interests and research plans for the immediate future
· current and planned foci in academic teaching and the supervision of young Researchers
- Academic curriculum vitae,
including information about “esteem factors” (e.g. experiences as a publisher, functions in research societies or programme committees)
- List of publications, including:
· specification of five key publications which the applicant considers particularly relevant to the advertised professorship
· provision of an Internet link for download or electronic submission of PDF versions of these five publications
· information about citations and impact factors, depending on the common practice in the relevant research area
- List of talks given,
including information about invited keynote lectures at international conferences
- Third-party funds
list of acquired third-party funds (subject, duration, origin, volume) as well as, if applicable, of inventions/patents
- Overview of previous academic teaching and supervised theses, especially doctoral theses
- Teaching Evaluations (if available)
- Copies of documents and certificates
Pursuant to § 24 para. 4 Islam Law 2015, before this position is filled, “contact on the respective candidate is to be made with the Religious Societies, whereby in the theological core area it is to be considered, that the person be a follower of the doctrinal theology (school of law) affiliated to the respective Religious Society recognised by this federal law.” By applying, candidates declare that the latter requirement is met.
Applications in German or English should be submitted by e-mail to the Rectorate of the University of Vienna, e‑mail: email@example.com.
Reference no.: ReEtIs2017
The application deadline is 31 May 2017.